Monday, January 21, 2013

Enjoying the Process


 
   I was recently inspired with the thought of the processes of life -- spiritual, emotional, physical, whatever kind you can think of.  The process of maturation. The process of preparing for an event/calling, and everything that goes into that. The list could go on. I was encouraged by the thought that God enjoys the processes of leading us somewhere maybe as much as the place itself that He is taking us to, if that makes sense.

  Some thoughts from my journal:

   Process. I'm learning that God enjoys the process -- well, maybe a better way to phrase it is: He receives glory through the process. I learn through the process. The process is not the end goal, but if I skip it altogether, the end goal probably isn't attainable, at least like it is if I submit to the process. It's amazing to me that God delights in this. 
   I'm so impatient. I want it NOW! And I would think that if I'm God, the instant someone repents and becomes a believer, I would want to zap them and make them like Christ in one BAM! and then say -- now go out and bring me glory by being my hands and feet, and showing the love of Jesus to everyone. 
   But that's not at all how it works. It's slow, methodical. Years. Him teaching, leading, guiding. SANCTIFYING. I'm not sure if this is totally accurate, but I wonder if He doesn't almost get as much glory from preparing me, teaching me, sanctifying me slowly, as He does from the ministry/work He is preparing me for. 
   I don't know. I'm slowly realizing -- don't jump ahead. Wait. Follow Him. Trust. Believe. Hope. Sometimes I look at the world and wish that God would shake the earth, so that everyone would see His power and fall in worship. Surely that would bring Him so much glory! And someday that will happen. 
   But it seems to me that the beauty of God is revealed in more small, obscure ways. Him bringing beauty from situations that look dead and ashen. Him changing individuals from self-focused, self-absorbed, proud people into people who love, care, hope, and humbly obey. People who realize their weaknesses and don't hide them, but glory in them because God's strength is then revealed in those weaknesses. People who ARE, not do. 
  And so I need to learn to sit. To hope. To wait expectantly. And God will open the next door, and I in faith can walk through it in His strength. Hallelujah! 



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this...I wish I had realized this truth much earlier. It would have saved me from a lot of self pity, impatience, worry, despair, and a lot of embarrassing whining. Or maybe it's just one of those things that you learn over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure it's one of those things we have to keep realizing over and over and over. It's not easy -- actually really difficult. And I don't know -- but I think God's OK with that. He's not asking us to make it seem like it's easy, He's just looking for our trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great insight, bro. Thanks for writing. Keep it up.
    In dealing with pain/grief the last couple of months, I've been trying to continue reading my Bible and having devotions just as I was before. But it's all seemed dry and dead--not like it was before. Lately, I've been convicted that God wants to meet me IN my GRIEF, not in my trying-to-make-it-through. He wants to be the One that brings comfort. And when I allow my devotional life to have a change from deepening my knowledge of His Word to letting Him comfort and heal in my grief, I've found a "life" in my devotional life that I never had before.
    I think you're right, He wants us to walk with Him as He prepares us and works in us.

    ReplyDelete